Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Special Memory -- Last month I spent several days in Idaho Falls visiting my Mom. One afternoon as I was driving from the extended care facility to my sister's house I was lifted from my down feelings when I saw this marquee. Could it be? The very first outdoor movie place I ever went to was still standing and still showing first run movies? Sure enough it has been in continuous existence for over 50 years and has ridden the tide from almost nonexistence to the current resurgence. This particular Motor Vu is very close to the house we lived in when I was very young. The area surrounding this place used to be primarily agricultural. Think -- Idaho potatoes. Today it is mostly commercial (light industrial). The site itself is weedy just as it has always been. There are cars parked beside to sign with For Sale signs in their windows. The sun was very bright that day so I was not able to get a good picture of the screen and its support. The picture on the left shows the ticket gate and the picture on the right is from the exit. I remember when we were little wanting to go early so that we could play on the swings and slide which were right in front of the screen. The concession stand was also a very special treat for us. Here we are at the entrance to the Sky Vu which is also located in Idaho Falls. My earliest memories of a particular movie I saw was here. This was where I first saw Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It is amazing how much has changed yet how much has remained the same.

2 comments:

John said...

How neat! We have a drive-in up in State College that we have had a lot of fun going to (first time I ever went to one). I wish that they were more widespread.

John said...

Keep posting! The pictures you've gotten so far have been really cool! There's a drive-in here in State College, and we've had fun seeing some great (and not so great) movies.