Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Another Birthday!!

Happy 60th!! Kathleen!! Another friend has reached the milestone. I do not have a picture available. They are all stored away in boxes that we have not unpacked yet. But, I do need to wish her a happy day anyway.

I have known Kathleen since we were freshmen in college. She was from Pocatello and I was from Blackfoot -- two eastern Idaho towns. When I look back at those times I often think about what was the magic formula for life long friendships like this one. She is a sorority sister -- that is one reason and the most apparent. However, Kath is one of those special friends you meet along way.

The most distinctive physical characteristic of her is her beautiful red hair. But, it is her being that is so memorable and special to me. Kath is one of the funniest and smartest people I have every known. She has an amazing ability to say the wrong thing at the right time. She also is married to an amazing man who has stayed by her side through thick and thin and then some.

Kathleen has been one of those friends who moves in and out of your life through the years. There was a long while when we did not see each other or even hear from each other but when we did or do see each other it is as though no time has passed between us. There is always a laugh, a smile, a hug and sometimes tears.

One of my fondest memories is when she called on a Sunday morning (fairly early) just a few years ago and asked, "Do you want to go shopping?" She was in Pullman and driving up to Spokane. When she arrived we went to Nordstrom and spent the entire day there. We shopped, had lunch and a few glasses of wine, and then shopped some more. It was a grand day! So, grand that Bill said that I had to have permission to shop with Kathleen again. We did go shopping again.

She came to be with me after I had my knee replacement. I don't think she will ever know how much that meant to me. I miss being just a couple hours away and having an occasional dinner outing with Kathleen and Gary. They are great fun, great company and most of all great friends.

Have a wonderful day Kath!! You deserve it.

No comments: