Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Favorite from the Pacific Northwest

You cannot possibly imagine how pleased I was yesterday to bite into a delicious Lambert Cherry from Yakima -- one of my favorite summertime treats. I have to admit that I was plenty surprised that they were available here and that they came through shipping in quite good shape as can be seen in the photo.

When I was growing up in Eastern Idaho we would get dark Bing cherries. They became the cherry standard for me for I loved the sweet juiciness. I didn't care for the brighter red and sour Monarchs which were used for pie cherries. While in Spokane, I got brave and tried the very red and quite tart looking Lambert. What a surprise!! These cherries are not heavy sweet like the Bing but refreshingly sweet.

Too bad they are only available for a short time each summer.

No comments: