Sunday, November 26, 2006

Arriving in Delaware

We left Arlington on the 21st and drove over the Bay Bridge from Annapolis. Bill was so excited to see the Chesapeake Bay. After crossing the bridge (a long one it is) we felt closer and closer to where we should be. However, it seemed like we would never get to where we were supposed to be. I am still having trouble with the ocean being to my east and not to my west. Besides, the road markers change here as the direction changes. For example, we were on 5-E yesterday and all of a sudden it became 5-N and we had not made any turns. This is going to take some getting use to. Eventually we made it to the house. The mover had called on Sunday and said that he would deliver on Tuesday and then on Monday he called and said that another delivery would delay him until early Wednesday. Lucky for us we were equipped with pillows and linen and there was a bed for us to sleep on once we arrived.

The day we arrived the weather was beautiful. The next day just as the mover arrived we were hit by a torrential downpour which last all day long. Needless to say it was a rather wet and somewhat unorganized unload because of the weather. The van was eventually unloaded and Bill and I were faced with a sea of boxes. So, we went out to find some lunch and got lost for the third time. It is not hard to do but is a bit ridiculous. I guess we are not used to these country roads.

Thursday was Thanksgiving and we unpacked a little before heading back to Arlington where we enjoyed the holiday with Geoff and Erica and several of their friends. It was a wonderful day.

We got a late start back on Friday. Bill, Erica and I are all still fighting the cold we brought back from Idaho. Thursday night was also a late one for all of us -- playing Trivial Pursuit until almost 1:00 am. Anyway, after a long search and and eventual capture, we rounded up George (the cat who flew back with Erica from Idaho) and headed back to Delaware. The trip was uneventful but twice as long as normal for the traffic back up on the bridge was 1:45 long.

George has settled right into to her new surroundings. She seems quite content to wander around and not be anywhere near a carrier or small room. We continue to unpack. Major progress was made today and we even made it to the beach. I will remember to take the camera with me the next time we go to the beach.

Today was a beautiful day -- in 70's. It is hard to believe that it is almost December and we should be thinking about our Christmas tree. We usually get it Thanksgiving weekend but because it is so warm we decided to wait a few more days.

1 comment:

John said...

Congrats on the move! Hope things continue to go smoothly. The house looks great in the pictures.